[ANSTHRLD] {TH}orkell {o,}lf_ss - another device attempt

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 26 00:29:01 PDT 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gyronny arrondi sable and argent, a mullet of eight points pierced counterchanged
>
> http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/aednial/Gyronnyarrondi.gif

Thanks for the larger image.  Seeing it, I think more strongly that it
should be returned for excessive counterchanging and modern style (op
art).  Though further research might affect that: just looking thru
the Armorial, there are some gyronny counterchanged things out there.

Possibly clear of conflict.  An *almost* identical design was on the
7/09 LoAR:

     Reyna Thorne. Device. Gyronny arrondi sable and argent, a mullet
     of eight points counterchanged.

         This device is returned for conflict with the badge of Anna af
         Aarnimets{a:}, "Gyronny sable and argent, a mullet
         counterchanged." There is a single CD for the difference
         between a mullet of five points and a mullet of eight points,
         but no difference between gyronny and gyronny arrondi. ...

         [stuff about a letter of permission to conflict that is not
         applicable here]

         In addition, the submitted device conflicts with the device
         for Endymion Meilichos, "Gyronny sable and argent, a mullet of
         eight points between eight others in annulo all
         counterchanged." There is a single CD for changing the number
         of mullets. ...

(Francois's regulation time precedents has a precedent on Br{o,}nd_lfr
the Stout, 03/03, A-Middle, giving a CD for arrondi for a quarterly
field.  Given the above, I'm not sure whether this has been overruled,
or whether there's a distinction between quarterly and gyronny.  But
the above return post-dates this, so this doesn't help.)

But there's this from Elsbeth's precedents:

     [a compass star pierced] After much thought, we decided that
     piercing is worth a CD when drawn large enough to be equivalent to
     adding a tertiary charge, as it is done here; i.e. when it is
     clearly visible and takes up much of the space available to
     it. [Sebastian of Dragon's Mist, 12/99, A-An Tir]

A mullet of twelve points pierced got a CD for piercing (Buyan Delger,
3/07 LoAR).  However, piercing in other cases may not be a CD.  For
example, Fekete Rosa (9/05) didn't get a CD for piercing cinquefoils,
and I think I hit an earlier precedent that said that piercing
cinquefoils was an artistic variation, and Elen Benet (1/05) even got
the piercing taken out of the blazon.

So I think this is clear, but (unless there are precedents) I still
think it should be returned for excessive counterchanging and op art.

Dankyn de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com