[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:19:13 PDT 2010

Recently at Steppes Warlord, I heralded the Warlord list.  I was not
entitled to wear a Steppes tabard.  I could have, if I had so chosen, worn a
crossed trumpet tabard (but it was just too hot for that).  Because several
of the people who were working as event staff know me and knew I would be
willing to herald announcements, I was asked to make some announcements for
the event.  Again, I could have worn a crossed trumpet tabard, but not a
Steppes tabard.

Even though I was participating in some official capacity as a herald for
the Steppes (at least for the Steppes event crew), I was not speaking for
the Steppes.  That duty was performed by Lady Gwen, Oakenwald Pursuivant,
who DID wear a Steppes a tabard in Court while she was speaking for the
Steppes.

I was making announcements for the site and tourney, assisting with the
operation of the event.  I was not speaking FOR the Steppes.  My word was
not that of the Barony or the Excellencies Duncan and Genevieve.  I was a
simple messenger.  Even though I had been asked some higher ups of the
group, and even by the Landed Nobility (in other cases, not this one), to
make official announcements, I was not their voice.  I had not been endowed
with the ability to speak for them, I was simply asked to make an
announcement.

With what you are describing, I see it as you have been designated as the
person to handle that aspect of heraldry for the event, but you are not
speaking as the group itself.

Perhaps what I am describing is a hierarchy of heralds where there is one
herald that speaks for the group or noble and several others that make
announcements that assist the main herald perform their duty.  This too is
period.  In a tournament there would be a Herald King At Arms who would make
all the major announcements and speak on behalf of the hosting noble while
there were several other heralds who would announce individuals ans make
smaller announcements.  It is not a perfect analogy, but it is a
correlation.

Brian O'hUilliam