[ANSTHRLD] ISO Mor Cochrane?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Sep 13 13:15:07 PDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where I could get in touch with Mor Cochrane - The
>>> name was registered in '99 in Ansteorra. I believe she hails from
>>> Shadowlands? Need to see if she'd be willing to give permission to
>>> conflict with the name, the new registered name would be "Moire
>>> Cochrane" out of Caid.
>>
>> How is "Moire Cochrane" pronounced?  In particular, is the first
>> name one syllable with a vowel that's "o" or close to it?

That is, I don't know whether "Moire" is properly pronounced "MOY-rah"
or "MOR" or what, not being of the Irish Gaelic persuasion.

> Is it your thought that if the pronounciation is different then
> because they look different and sound different, then it's not a
> conflict?

The reverse: if the pronunciations are identical or nearly so, then I
think it can't be registered even with a letter of permission to
conflict.  I think Michaela of Monmouthshire needed that extra
syllable to be able to use the letter of permission from Michael of
Monmouthshire.

> What the pronounciation is I do not know, they were just informed by
> their herald in Caid that they would likely have a conflict with
> <Mor> due to the identical last name elements and the fact that
> <Moire> was a derivative of <Mor>

"i. Given Names - Two given names are significantly different only if
they differ significantly in sound and appearance. Irrespective of
differences in sound and appearance, a given name is not significantly
different from any of its diminutives when they are used as given
names. However, two diminutives of the same given name are
significantly different if they differ significantly in sound and
appearance."

Then the question is: is Moire indeed a diminutive of Mor?  Then, even
if it is enough different in sound, there would need to be a letter of
permission.

> I couldn't tell you whether that would really generate a conflict
> here in Ansteorra

Conflict rules are SCA-wide.

Dankyn de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com