[ANSTHRLD] Quarterly, a cross between four mullets ... pierced

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Sep 1 21:50:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> New Blazon attempt:
> Quarterly sable and argent, a cross quarterly argent and gules between
> four mullets of eight points pierced counterchanged
>
> New Emblazon:
> http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/aednial/Quartly2.gif

A tangent for blazon education that IS NOT RELEVANT to the current
idea: if it were only the field and the cross, you could alternately
blazon it as "Quarterly sable and argent, a cross counterchanged
argent and gules".  However, I don't recommend that alternate blazon
with the version that has mullets, because then there's a second
"counterchanged" that doesn't mean the same thing as the first
"counterchanged".

> If i am correct, then the First CD would be the mullets, and the
> second would be changing the cross from counterchanged to quarterly
> argent and gules

and the third CD is the piercing on your mullets, as I was apparently
not clear enough in explaining earlier.  You don't have to change the
cross, because Will's possible conflict (Sibyl O'Dowd, Quarterly sable
and argent, a cross between four lozenges counterchanged) is not a
conflict and Tostig was incorrect.  I said it should be mentioned on
the ILoI and the LoI only to keep other people from calling it a
conflict.

If you WANT to make such a change, that's a different thing, but you
don't have to change it to clear it from Sibyl.

I looked at the emblazon -- thank you so much for providing them.
In my opinion -- which might not be shared by anyone else -- the cross
being divided, and of different tinctures from the field and the
charges, makes it harder to blazon it.  I had to look at it a bit to
realize that what's going on in the center was probably a cross and
then a bit more to realize that it's quarterly.

I think this is harder to blazon than the original version.  I still
would suggest a plain cross gules (or some other solid tincture that's
not argent or sable).  You're obviously fond of counterchanging, which
is a known period thing, but the more there is, the harder it is to
figure out what's going on.

Daniel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com