[ANSTHRLD] Name check

Melissa Barton m.alanebarton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:38:59 PDT 2011

> Anyone have another on "Phellip?"

I'm coming up with a giant nothing for the 14th century, although <Phelip>
seems to be a perfectly reasonable Welsh name for that time period.

However, there is a 1566 record from Cardiff that names a <Johen ap Jevan ap
Phellip Lloyd>, here:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=48163

If <Elen> can be documented to within 300 years of 1566, it looks like she
could register <Elen verch Phellip> as a 16th century name (the CoH does not
register persona stories), although I would not recommend checking the
"authenticity desired" box unless you have a 16th century citation of <Elen>
(all I can find is <Ellen> and <Helen>):
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welshWomen16/

If she really wants that second 'l' and really wants to put 1380s on the
form, I don't know what to suggest, other than that she can register <Elen
verch Phelip> and spell it however she likes in daily use.

-Leonor Ruiz de Lison
Bonwicke Baronial Herald