[ANSTHRLD] Hats

Lisa Theriot lisatheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Wed Jun 1 14:47:50 PDT 2011

[You don't think that it could be drawn such a way that the hat is
considered "sustained" and counts for difference, clearing the conflict
you noted above, with 1 CD for field and 1 CD for difference?]

The very fact that we are talking about "drawn in such a way" indicates
a problem.  Sustaining a charge involves holding it away from the body
of the animate charge in such a way as to call attention to it, i.e.,
"Look at this cool mullet!"  It's Vanna showing off a new car.

If the hat is visibly apart from the head, it is a separate charge.  I
think any item of apparel _worn_ is on shaky ground.  In this instance,
because it's just a head, and the hat is really big, it shows up; if we
were talking about a lion rampant versus a lion rampant crowned, you
wouldn't give it a CD.  You could try to make an argument based on
visual weight (sombrero, si, beret, non); there are few hats that would
make the same kind of impact even on just a head as, say, a head versus
a head jessant de lys, which is clearly a CD.  I assume that any item of
apparel worn as expected becomes part of the charge without some further
change.  I might think more charitably towards a CD if the hat were at
least a different tincture.

Adelaide