[ANSTHRLD] Blazon and conflict help (Wolf head and mitre)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jun 1 19:45:57 PDT 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm really uncomfortable finding that cant. IMO Mitres , like Crowns
> and Caps of Maintenance, imply powers and rank.

Real mitres and crowns that you can put on your head implied powers
and ranks.  But like a red belt on your body versus a red belt in your
badge, the armorial use is different.  In Papworth's under "CORONET
including Crown", pp. 591-3, the only royal arms that have them are
Ireland from a couple of sources, one of Sweden, and some really dodgy
kings.  (OK, from their point of view King Arthur was not dodgy, but
you know any real King Arthur could not have borne arms.)

Caps of maintenance, I dunno.

I find the SCA's equating of "use in reality" == "use in armory" to be
grating.

Daniel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com