[ANSTHRLD] Noisemakers in voice heralding

Lisa Theriot lisatheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Mon Jul 9 08:12:10 PDT 2012

[> Yes, I do know the herald's badge is modern, but even that stereotype
> has to come from something.

As to "hyrnboda" meaning herald, likley not in how we use it, but more along
the lines of "herald angel," or the one calling, making announcement.  My
guess is that first roll was not only making announcements but calling out
people as well.  Eventually you need a means by which to sort them and
larely being illiterate, one goes with pictures.
Conjecture I know but as good as any. :P

Wihtric]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word (herald) is "of
uncertain origin," and if they don't know, no one does.  Neither of the
leading origin candidates have anything to do with an instrument (one being
<heriwald> 'commander of an army', the source for the name Harold, and the
other being OHG haren/heren, 'to call or cry', surely the more likely).
BTW, Shakespeare's Henry V (1599) gives an association of heralds and
trumpets (IV, vii): "Take a Trumpet Herald, Ride thou vnto the Horsemen on
yond hill."  By the conventions of capitalization of the day, Trumpet Herald
seems to be a title, as an inanimate object like a trumpet would not be
capitalized (note "hill").  My modern edition has changed this line to "Take
a trumpet, herald..." which appears to be incorrect.

Adelaide, Wakeforest