[ANSTHRLD] April 2012 ILoI, 13, Wolf de G{a:}nger

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu May 10 22:11:51 PDT 2012

Crud!  Commentary was closed while I was finishing an argument!

http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=1290#13

Furthermore, if Wikipedia be believed, it's only some historians who
believe that Rollo was Ganger Hrolf.

But posit that the names Ganger Hrolf and Hrolf Ganger are
nevertheless protected in those forms.

Ganger Hrolf versus Wolf de(r) G{a:}nger:
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#PN3C1 is Changes to Two
Syllables. "Names are substantially different if changes in sound and
appearance affect at least two syllables (including adding, removing,
or reordering them). ... Changes to any part of the name count,
including articles and prepositions.", and an example calls John de
Aston clear of John Asson for adding a syllable and changing another
syllable. So I see two diffs, reversal and adding "de(r)".

Hrolf Ganger versus Wolf de(r) G{a:}nger: I think I could argue it's
clear by any of the three sections under PN.3.C, but it looks easiest
to go with http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#PN3C3

    3. Substantial Change of Single-Syllable Name Phrase: Two names
    with a comparable single-syllable name phrase are eligible for
    this rule.  A pair of name phrases are said to be comparable if
    they both have the same position in the name, such as given name
    or first byname.  Comparable single-syllable name phrases are
    generally substantially different in sound if a group of adjacent
    vowels or of adjacent consonants within a word are completely
    changed, so that it shares no sound in common.  ... The change of
    a single letter is sufficient for two eligible name phrases to be
    different in appearance, as such name phrases are quite short.
    ... Anne Best is substantially different from Anne West.  ...

"Hr" or "R" to "W" alone looks good enough to trigger this. I also
pronounce the "o" in "Rolf" rather like "ah", but the "o" in "Wolf"
more like "uh", but R<->W looks easier to argue.

Danihel de Lincolino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com