[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check: Or, on a pile gules a lion and a stag combatant counter-changed

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu May 31 08:08:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> Robert of Coleford / Darnell Daniels <dmage121 at yahoo.com> asked about
>>
>> Or, on a pile gules a lion and a stag combatant counter-changed
>
>> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3022563215756&set=a.1471610042896.59331.1612997228&type=3

> I honestly don't remember: do pile issue from the corners of the
> shields?  There are proper pile placement precedents, but I don't have
> convenient access to check them.

They do not. It's important to remember that a pile is an ordinary,
NOT a field division -- a common mistake. A properly drawn pile issues
entirely from the chief, with the sides inset from the upper corners
some distance.

Robert, what might work better for you would be either a "per chevron
inverted" field division, or flipping it around, a "per chevron" field
division.  A properly-drawn "per chevron inverted" starts lower on the
field, not at the upper corners, but is in a V shape like this. A "per
chevron" field division is an upside-down V.  Both field divisions
should divide the field roughly in half. In both cases,
counterchanging the beasties over a field division is far more common
in period heraldry than over an ordinary.

-Emma