[ANSTHRLD] Rarely Used Charges spreadsheet updated to Apr 2014 LOAR

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 16:50:25 PDT 2014

Not unless you wanted it to.  Was just adding what research I could to what you had since you asked a question in the spreadsheet.

Tostig

 Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Rarely Used Charges spreadsheet updated to Apr 2014	LOAR
 To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org>
 Date: Saturday, July 19, 2014, 11:50 AM

 Hello!
 This for some reason went into my spam, which I
 check once a month or so.

 Did you want this information added to the
 spreadsheet? Listing something
 different? We
 the college are still (usually) marking the torii an
 SFPP,
 there is a later registration month
 that so notes it: March 2014 LOAR.

 There are two registrations including torii
 gates and they both note:

 "There is a step from period practice for
 the use of a torii gate."

 _______________________

 *Dum Spiritus, Spes*

 On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:19
 PM, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 > I can't see
 where the following Precedent has been overturned:

 > "The torii is
 still permitted in Society heraldry, due to its modern
 > familiarity among Occidentals (for
 instance, the word is found in Webster's
 > Collegiate Dictionary) and its valid
 reblazon as a Japanese gateway.

 However, since no heraldic difference can normally be
 obtained from
 > regional drawing style,
 we grant no difference between a Japanese gateway
 > (torii) and a standard heraldic gate ---
 any more than we grant difference

 between an arch and a dolmen." (Ihashi Hidezo, June,
 1993, pg. 22)

 However,

 > Crínán
 mac Eoin.  Device. Quarterly gules and sable, a bridge of
 three
 > spans and issuant from base a
 demi-sun Or.
 > This device is not in
 conflict with the device of Asa Hito, Vert, a
 > demi-sun issuant from base within and
 conjoined to a torii gate Or. There
 > is
 one CD for the change of field, and one CD for the
 difference between a
 > torii gate and a
 bridge of three spans. (LoAR Nov 2011, A-Ansteorra)

 > And it should be
 noted ...

 > A.4.
 Armory Individually Attested Patterns

 > A. Definitions: Any
 armorial design that does not fit within our core
 > style rules may still be registered if it
 can be documented as following a

 pattern of period practice within the armorial style of a
 single time and
 > place within the
 temporal scope of the Society. This time and place may be
 > in Europe or may be from a non-European
 period armorial tradition, such as

 Islamic or Japanese heraldry. We call such a design an
 Individually
 > Attested Pattern. All
 elements in an Individually Attested Pattern must be
 > found in that single time and place,
 including charges, arrangement of

 charge groups, and lines of division. Documentation under
 the Individually
 > Attested Pattern rules
 does not exempt a design from conflict, presumption,
 > or offense rules.
 >
 > For example, Sable, a torii gate Or
 between three panthers argent, spotted

 of many tinctures would not be registerable as an
 Individually Attested
 > Pattern, as it
 mixes charges from both Japanese and England. (SENA

 wrote:

 >  Subject:
 [ANSTHRLD] Rarely Used Charges spreadsheet updated to Apr
 2014
 > LOAR
 >  To:
 "SCA Heralds List" <sca-hrlds at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>,
 "Ansteorra
 <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org>
 >  Date: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 3:07
 PM

 >  http://goo.gl/EuWu3U
 >  <
 > https://www.google.com/url?q=http://goo.gl/EuWu3U&usd=2&usg=ALhdy2-kEgmYFxcRNuutHhBT4Of-nazD_g
 > >
 >  Please feel
 free to comment on anything you feel is in
 >  error, or any

 suggestions you may have.

 Heralds at lists.ansteorra.org