HERB - good morning

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Apr 17 22:23:47 PDT 1998

For a start, I might ask what references the illustrious Gentles of the
list
have found useful as modern medicinal references. <snip>

	What a wonderful place to start, you are absolutely right!
Lacking the tutelage of a sage healer, printed references are the way
most of us learn most of what we know.  I have learned to seek multiple
sources, find at least three that agree (or give the same general
informaiton).  From there, there is not much to be done but try whatever
it is on one's self, family, pets, plants, garden, etc.  (I don't always
follow the above, for I do have certain sources I trust with even unknown
information.)   For anything dealing with the body, the first book I go
to is "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F. Balch, MD, and
Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.  It lays out Elements of Health, Disorders, and
Remedies and Therapies in an encyclopedic fashion.
For down and dirty information on herbs, I usually go to "The Herb Book"
by John Lust.  Not great pictures (line drawings in b&w), but concise
information on Common Names, Properites, Uses, and Counterindicaitons,
with some information on Preparation.  It does not go into a lot of
detail, but is a good place to start with many green leafy plants.
	For period sources, I have "Herbs for the Medieval Garden" by the
Metropolitan Museum of Art,  "Herbs for a Monastic Garden", Culpeppers'
Herbal, and various other herbal sources.  I am interested in the history
of herbals, and have taught a class (introductory) on the topic.  I also
like the two volume set from Dover, "Grieve's Herbal".  It does go into
great detail, and has everything I've ever looked for in it.  I was a
professional chef for a while, and have collected cookbooks, herbals,
garden design books, naturopathic healing books, anatomy and medicine,
chinese herbal and theraputic treatment, etc, etc.  I could go on and on,
but I will leave this here, and come back when I am less tired and not so
inclined to ramble.  Until the morrow,

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies