HERB - Taking Potted Herbs to Events

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 22 21:42:11 PDT 1998

<snip long story leading up to the gleeful death of a basil plant>
>I took great delight in turning that plant into pesto (closest I ever
>came to
>detesting a plant <G>), but I will NEVER do anything that insane
>again.  Next
>time, I find a recipe that uses dried herbs.
>
>Raisya

	Many years ago at Pennsic, a friend of mine that camps in the Bog
showed me a very good patch of spearmint, growing around the drainage of
the lake.  I have returned many times to harvest there,  it is usually
flowering in August, and makes wonderful table decorations, as well as
secanjubin, mint jeulups, tea, etc.  Friends of mine were inspired  by
this to grow herbs on site, to be able to harvest fresh herbs while
there.  The next year, I went to my local nursery to get some herbs.  I
had my mom with me, and was explaining to her that my problem was going
to be finding herbs that would summer over here in Ga., and transplant
successfully to Pennsylvania close to the winter season.  A Pike's
Nursery employee just happened to overhear me, and said " Well, I'm from
Slippery Rock, Penn, and I can probably help you." !!!  So, I bought
plants, transplanted some out of my yard, and took up several pots for
them.  They put them in the woods behind the bog, and evidently the
woodland creatures had a fine gourmet time, and nothing was left the next
year.   So, I decided to bring my own herb garden with me.  I planted a
hanging basket with kitchen herbs (parsley, sage, basil, chives), and
also brought an aloe plant to have on hand.  I used one of those wire
mesh baskets to hang all of the plants from the poles inside my kitchen
tent, and we used them quite a lot.  It was commented on many times by
visitors to our camp, and by those who dined with us.  I will definately
do this again, it made a very nice addition to our kitchen at camp.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies