HERB - Re:Winter plans and dreams

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Wed Dec 9 16:35:35 PST 1998

 I'd like to get a perennial physic garden started here, could you help me out
here?  I'd like to hear about what works, and something about period usages.  We
get 100° temperatures during summers and down to the 20's in winter.  My
pennyroyal did fine until July then slowly burned into nothingness in the 100+
days, even being in the shade for the afternoons. Anyone in the south and west
with experiences of the heat problems, please feel free to respond.  The garden
now has an eglantine rose, rosemary, lemongrass, St. Johns wort, and echineacia(?)
strategically placed and thriving.  The garden gets morning and mid-day sun, but
is shaded from 2:00 onward.  The garden is a 20' diamond, with the rosemary
centered around a bird bath.  There are 4 triangles within the diamond.  This year
each had a specific scent (lemon, anise, thyme, lavender).  I think I'll be
getting basil, and dill that reseeded interspersed throughout the garden (my hopes
at least).  Any suggestions for next year will be greatly appreciated.  Seed
catalogs are wonderful Christmas treats.

P.S.  I have a star jasmine growing up my arbor and in the spring I get 100's of
blooms.  I have picked the blooms and mixed them in moist potpourri with so-so
results, any hints in how to use these fragrant flowers?

Henri and Antea
Kingdom of Ansteorra, Barony Stargate
Purveyors of fine herbs and spices
http://www.hypercon.com/naturalhome