HERB - scented geranium

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:33:06 PDT 1998

 Scented geraniums aren't period and I don't have any books about them
today at work.  There is a period geraniums (cranebill) but it's not the
same plant that the Pelargoniums(sp)  are. i love scented geraniums and
don't care.  My grandmother grew them in California where I was raised and
I have great memories of them.  the Girl Scout hut had a scented geranium
plot with about twenty five kinds.    They imprinted on me I guess.  The
fuzzy leaved peppermint and the rose geranium are some of my favorites.  If
you get two kinds of scented g. and pollinate them you can get interesting
hybrids that smell differently from each other.....

	Topiary is period, especially in te Mediterranean countries.....
There are numerous little potted Topiaries in the backgrounds of a lot of
Italian paintings as well.  There's also a book called "Interior
Landscapes" that talks about a history of potted plants, plant murals,
flowers  and the concept of bringing nature for indoors.  It a really small
book with some great pictures for source info.  If you like I can post the
name and ISBM number.  I also have a small hardback book called  "The
Potted Plant" that is all about maodern topiaries.

Raisya's correct, it's been incredibily hot down here.  Austin's had some
highs but we're not a humid as Houston so it probably doesn't feel as bad.
Plus we're also in a drought.  i've lost my rose geranium and an exotic
passionflower that had huge white blooms with purple coronas.
Maybe next year......

Clare