HERB - Re: [SCA-WEST:1369] Help, please. Anybody?

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Wed Jun 10 10:31:30 PDT 1998

> Perhaps my info is shaky, in which case I'll be corrected, but my
> understanding is that it matters not a whit who performs a ceremony,
> it's the signing of the license that makes you married as far as the
> State is concerned.  Perhaps your best deal is to have a civil ceremony
> before the event, just you two in the courthouse, and then you can have
> anyone you like perform any ceremony that makes you feel "married."
> This way you don't have to find someone preacherlike at an event and the
> pressure is off...
>
> Technically, you don't have to have any ceremony at all... go get your
> license, sign it and have it witnessed, and voila! you are married...
>
> And congratulations, BTW...
>
> Adellind le Quintain

This information is correct.  The legal paperwork is completely unrelated
to the ceremony.  Two good friends of mine were married in such a manner.
They got a "secret marriage" (this was the legal term) for tax purposes
something like six months before they walked down the aisle.  The man who
officiated at the wedding was a good friend of theirs, but NOT a minister,
j.p., etc.  (He didn't need to be, since the legalities were fulfilled.)  I
think this may be your best bet.

Congratulations, Kris, I had no idea!  :-)

Meet you at Crown?

--Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua