HERB - Cardoon

Karen Dean Eaglesridge at Tomah.com
Fri Jun 12 06:13:22 PDT 1998

To the Gentles of the List, I give greetings and ask a humble question,

I am growing Cardoon for the first time this year.  As is usual for any
of us who love to grow things, I have been doing research on this
plant.  One of the references I came across on the MSU website made the
following statement - "The artichoke enjoyed by ancient Greeks and
Romans was actually cardoon.  It was also prominent in medieval
cooking".  Is there anyone who would be able to point me in the
direction of documented evidence of this?

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Ldy. Aoibheil of Ath-Sithe
Canton of Coille Stoirmeil
Principality of Northshield
Middle Kingdom