HERB - Re: health & old meat

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Jun 23 12:43:16 PDT 1998

Melandra of the Woods sed:

>So let's pull it on topic.  I have been told that certain peppers, spices,
>and herbs were used in cooking meat to help disguise the spoiled meat
>taste.  How true is this?  What types of herbs were used?  Were they used
>to preserve, as well as flavor?

I have some old handwritten notes I'm trying to track down
the source of which are related. My notes say "Before
refrigeration, a tea of chamomile was used to soak away the
smell of spoilage on meat." I'm pretty sure this note is
accurate at least from a secondary source point of view with
regards to the *smell* of spoilage alone, but I can't seem to
find evidence of this happening in existing documents.

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim