HERB - Comfrey

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Wed May 6 18:33:09 PDT 1998

> I've heard very little about Comfrey.  Any suggestions on books
w/references
> to it?  Any idea where I can get it in California?
>
> Thanks,
> Kris
I live in the Sacramento region.  I have found dried comfrey (leaf & root)
in every health-food store or herb store I've ever walked into.  In
addition, I've found the potted plant for sale @ natural-food co-ops and
several "hardware" store-type places that sell herbs.  (While I haven't
grown it myself, my mother has.)  I have also seen it growing in one
person's front yard as an ornamental -- they didn't know what it was!  If
you can tell me specifically where you live, I'd be glad to help you track
down a supplier in your area.  (private e-mail:  kblkthrn at midtown.net)  It
is a very useful herb; I have used it to treat a severe sprain and AMAZED
the doctor with how fast it healed..."much faster than it 'should' have!"
Again, I have seen it in most Herbals I have looked at -- one of my
favorites is "The New Age Herbal" available @ Waldenbooks and Barnes &
Noble.  (I'm at work, so I don't have the rest of the reference info on it,
but it has lots of photos of herbs....)

A word of caution when handling the live plant -- some people react to the
fuzzy leaves like nettles, so use caution.  My mother always wears gloves
when handling the leaves until she's picked them AND THEY'VE WILTED.  This,
from the woman who used to chew on poison ivy to taunt her playmates!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Comfrey! =)

Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua
Kingdom of the West