HERB - caffeine

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Tue May 12 14:16:48 PDT 1998

12, 1998 8:46 PM

> Galen said:
> >Rodent feces, insect parts, etc, etc.
> >
> >No, I'm not kidding! The FDA actually has allowances for the above
> >compounds (as in maximum amounts allowed). Visit a catsup factory
sometime!

> Yep, when I worked on the vegetarian program at the Trinity University in
> San Antonio, we were told that an industrial size can could have 20% non
> food items in the can... We found this out after we discovered several
> medium size pebbles (yes, pebbles) in a can of refried beans.  Scarey,
huh!
> I don't eat canned anything much anymore.......
>
> Clare

Pebbles are common in beans, canned or dried.  If you read instructions for
cooking beans, it always includes a washing step (which many health food
advocates preach against as they claim you "lose nutrients") "in order to
remove any dirt or rocks".   I don't know exactly how rocks & bean seeds
get mixed up, but I have found it to be common -- even with my organic
bulk-beans...and it's a pain to separate them!
Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua
Kingdom of the West