HERB - yohimbe

Diana Habra dch at inreach.com
Sat May 16 17:24:46 PDT 1998

knotwork at juno.com wrote:

> Why is it that so many of us (especially in the SCA) need to lose so
> much
> weight?  I wouldn't mind dropping 100 lbs. or so myself.  I have spent
>
> most of my life on diets, alternating with "body self acceptance"
> therapy.  God and I both love me as I am, but for my health's sake I
> really need to lose.

Dear List,

I feel that there are many reasons for Americans being over their "ideal
weight".  As someone mentioned, metabolism plays into it and so does our
modern, sedentery lifestyle.  But mostly I think our weight problems are
due to psychological hurdles.  I know mine were!!  For many of us, they
stem from childhood and a lack of the love/attention that we needed.  As
my mother stated recently, "food always loves you."  And I think alot of
us see it that way.

In the SCA, we are much more accepting about how people look than the
general population is.  A large woman is not thought of as a slob, or
unwomanly.  She is thought of as VERY womanly and seen more for her
feminity and talents rather than for the fact that she wears a size 18,
22 or whatever.  And a large man is thought of as strong and huggable.
The SCA tends to attract overweight people for just these reasons.

And, let's face it.  We are an odd group of people who tend to be quite
intelligent.  WE realize that there is more to a book than its cover.
And we are more interested in what is on the inside than what is on the
outside.  And you know, I have met a great number of overweight people
who feel good about themselves now who before had only felt ashamed and
been subject to scorn and ridicule.  (I'm one of them).

So we may have collective weight to lose (in the SCA), but at least we
know that in the meantime, we are still loved, respected, and accepted.
Cheers to us for showing the rest of socitey how it SHOULD be!!

Roseline d'Anjou
West Kingdom