HERB - RECIPE: Boom Boom Tummy Cordial (long)

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Nov 5 12:11:44 PST 1998

Here's the recipe for the cordial that my husband started calling
"Boom Boom." I didn't really know until this year that my
experiment had been successful. You see, when I first started
using this cordial, I did it with the intent of finding
something that would settle my stomach and taste pleasing. My
husband didn't know this at the time. With the initial help of
my grandma and my mom, I've been making it for a few years now.
My husband finally said to me this year, "You know, whenever
I get sour tummy, that cordial of yours seems to help."

And here I just thought it tasted good. It certainly doesn't
last long at our house or camp. It also takes a while to mature,
so you probably want to start it early (i.e. it's probably too
late to start it for the holiday season of 1998). Oh yes,
the reason it's called "Boom Boom"....it sneaks up on you and
goes boom boom boom if you're not paying attention to how
much you drink. :) -- jasmine at infoengine.com

PS: I'm told this recipe is pretty close to a recipe that was
published in an old Herb Companion Magazine under the title
"Thunder of Zeus." I have that issue on back order. My mother
and grandmother were the originators of this recipe when it
was handed down to me, so I suspect the recipe is an older one
that was published sometime during my grandmother's lifetime
in an old woman's magazine. :)

BOOM BOOM or Jasmine's Sour Tummy Cordial

Equipment:

  !--> a safety-approved kitchen fire extinguisher

     a mortar or a heavy object with a flat bottom and a plastic bag
     measuring spoons
     a large, non-reactive pan (one that can hold all the brandy)
     a gallon-sized glass jar with a non-metal sealable top
        and preferably a very wide mouth-opening
     a large funnel (optional)
     a non-reactive metal spoon
     measuring cups
     a small knife
     a fine mesh strainer or several large coffee filters
     bottle for final storage

Ingredient set #1:

     1 litre brandy
     2 rounded tablespoons whole coriander seeds
     1 rounded tablespoon whole cumin seed
     6 whole cloves (or less to taste)
     1 small cinnamon stick (about 2 or 3 inches long)

Ingredient set #2:

     1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
     2 cups filtered water
     1/2 a vanilla bean, split
     1 bottle dry white wine (not sweet!)

*WARNING*:

You're working with alcohol. Alchol can catch fire even if you're
using an electric stove. In fact, any heat source can start it.
Use common sense caution and extreme care when working with the
brandy in this recipe. Have the fire extinguisher ready and
reachable. Know how to use it. In the event that your brandy
catches fire, USE THE EXSTINGUISHER, NOT A TOWEL. If you're not
familiar with standard kitchen fire safety, call you local
public library or fire fighting education office and ask for a
pamphlet before starting this recipe.
     If you have small children, I suggest you plan to make
this recipe when they're either out of the house or will be
asleep for more than an hour. Leaving the stove even for a moment
could mean the difference between safety and a major house fire.
If this sounds like an overreaction, it's not. This is meant to
scare you. I've personally witnessed these fires in action.

Preparation and Hints:

    In a mortar or in a plastic bag with a heavy object, bruise
or crush (not grind) all the spices in ingredient set 1 except
for the cinnamon stick. The spices should still be recognizeable
as spices, albeit in pieces. You want to release the essential
oils and flavors of the spices, but you don't want them so small
that they will significantly cloud your cordial. Place these
bruised spices in your pan.

DO NOT turn on your stove yet.

    Away from the stove, pour the brandy into the pan, being careful
to dry up any splatters and spills before you place the pan on the
stove. Be sure to wipe the bottoms AND sides of the pan.
    Place the pan on the stove and turn the heat to low or
medium low. Watch the pan carefully to assure the brandy does not
catch fire. This is especially true if you use a gas stove. When
the brandy is very warm (more than lukewarm, but not hot enough to
burn your finger), turn off the heat and remove the pan from the
stove.
     Away from your stove, pour the brandy into your gallon-sized
jar. If you have a large funnel with a large opening at the bottom,
one large enough for the spices to slide through without clogging,
use that (Hint: car repair stores sell these). If you don't have
a funnel, pour carefully. An extra set of hands can be invaluable
at this point.
     Cap the jar, preferably with a plastic threaded cap if you
can find one. Metal caps often react with the substances in your
jar if jostled and can cause either an off taste or rust bits
in your liquid. If you can't find a glass jar this big, use a
large, FOOD-GRADE (non-reactive) plastic tub with a strongly sealed
lid.
    Store this jar for at least 1 month (preferably 2 or more) in a cool,
dark place. An unused closet is a good choice. After one month's time,
drag that jar back out of the closet. From ingredient set 2, take
the sugar and water and place them in a saucepan on low. Stir the
mix until the sugar is dissolved in the water. Split your vanilla
bean down its length and add it along with the sugar syrup to the
jar with your brandy mix. Add your bottle of dry white wine. Give
it all a quick stir with your spoon, cap it again, and put it back
into the cool, dark place for at least 2 more months though you can
let it go longer with no ill effects. (I've done this second storage
for as short as one month, but it doesn't taste as good to me.)
     When you can't wait any longer, take the jar back out and filter
out the solids. While coffee filters work okay, I find it best to
filter the mixture thorugh a fine strainer first and then filter it
again through coffee filters (I've also used cheesecloth before).
     Bottle the filtered liquid (I prefer dark glass). Enjoy!

Choosing the right alcohol:
     Over the years that I've made this, it's been tough to recreate
the exact recipe twice. I've learned this is mostly due to the brandy
and wine I've chosen. I prefer to use a moderately expensive brandy.
Cheaper brandies, in my experience, often contain off flavors that I
don't like in my cordials. Professionals may disagree with me on this
point, though, so use a brandy you like, even if it's the cheap stuff!
     Wine is a little bit tougher to choose than brandy. I prefer to
buy the most expensive bottle of dry white I can afford. I'm usually
lucky enough to find one in the $10-12 range that suits my purposes.
Again, though, if you find a fantastic buy at $3 and you really like
the taste, by all means use it. If, however, you really don't buy wine
that often, ask your local wine reseller for help. They're usually
quite knowledgeable.
     My favorite wine choices so far include a number of Chardonnays
and a good Seyval Blanc. I wouldn't use a riesling and certainly not
a White Zinfande or a blush wine. Some chablis wines are okay, but many
aren't my first choice. I also wouldn't choose any wine that was described
as "fruity". Look for the words "crisp" or "dry" in the wine's description.