HERB - Vinegar

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Nov 11 14:16:55 PST 1998

I thought I'd throw this question out to the Herb List as well as
discussing it on the Cook's List.  A fellow from our Barony asked me
about making flavored vinegars last week.  I told him I would ask and let
him know.  The responses have been interesting, and have included
discussion of vinegar "mothers" , beer and wine failures, and very little
but some documentation of flavored vinegars mentioned in period.
So, I thought, why not ask the Herbalists?
What flavors do you make?
Are they period?
What are they good for/with?
How do you do it?

I have made the flavored vinegars and oils for presents and my own use,
and love tarragon in white wine vinegar, rosemary and garlic in red wine
vinegar, and cinnamon, cloves, and orange peel in apple cider vinegar.
Most medicinals I make I use rubbing alcohol or grain alcohol in.  We
were talking about certain tinctures that needed to be made with apple
cider vinegar to attain the active ingredients recently. (We being myself
and my boss at the health food store).  Anybody ever heard of this or
know which ones and why?

How's that for a tart topic?
Christianna