HERB - "Decker, Margaret" <margaret@Health.State.OK.US>: SC - Hot drinks

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Sat Nov 14 08:17:34 PST 1998

>The winter tourney is upon us here in Anesteorra and my question is -
>what
>would be a good period non-alcoholic hot drink. I know that hot
>chocolate,
>coffee (as we serve it today) and tea are not in period but are herbal
>infusions and if so which ones?
>Margarite
>Namron - Anesteorra
>Norman OK

Namron, at least, has a chance of having a *real* winter, unlike those of
us in the Southern Region of Ansteorra. Here's a couple of suggestions:

I really like chai. There's a brand I can get locally from most of the
natural food stores: Oregon Chai. It is a heavy syrup you mix 50-50 with
milk. Really tastes great on a cold night. (Now if we only had some cold
nights!) I have no idea if there were any similar concoctions in period.

Here's my recipe for mulled wine or cider:

Mulled Wine/Cider

This makes 8 bags, each bag is enough to mull a 750-ml bottle of red wine,
or 1/2 gallon of apple cider.

3 boxes(1 ounce each) cinnamon sticks(about 25 2-inch long sticks)
6 whole nutmegs
1/3 cup each chopped dried orange and lemon peel (see note at end)
1/4 cup each whole allspice and whole cloves
2 tablespoons finely chopped, crystallized ginger

Cut doubled layers of cheesecloth into fourteen 5-inch squares. Have ready
eight 8-10 inch long pieces of plain white string. Put cinnamon sticks and
nutmegs in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or small heavy
skillet until broken into small pieces. Mix with remaining ingredients. Tie
3 generous tablespoonful in each cheesecloth square.

To mull wine: I've been using the 1.5 liter bottles of Gallo Cabernet
Sauvignon with good results. Stir 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar in
a 3 to 4 qt. saucepan until sugar dissolves. Add the entire bottle of wine
and the 2 spice bags. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat very gently until
mixture is very hot, but not boiling - about 20 minutes. Discard spice bags.

To mull cider: Add one spice bag to 8 cups apple cider in a 2 1/2-3 qt.
saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-35 minutes.

To dry citrus peel: With vegetable peeler remove colored part of peel from
2 large oranges and 4 lemons. Place in single layer on plate; cover with
paper towel and let stand at room temperature one day or until dried. Snip
in small pieces with kitchen shears or chop coarse with knife.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net