HERB - Banckes herbal question

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Nov 30 13:04:30 PST 1998

Lacking the original in front of me (and still waiting for interlibrary
loan) can anyone tell me the organization of the information in the
Banckes herbal? I have the Agnus Castus manuscript on loan from the
library and that's organized by plants only. Banckes is based in part
on the Agnus Castus. And Markham's "The English Housewife" is pretty
much lifted from Banckes, but reorganized into recipes. Does the
Banckes herbal give the recipes and the plant information, just one
or the other? Or am I fundamentally confused about the contents of
the herbal entirely?

Anyone? Buehller? :)

Jasmine

PS: Has anyone bothered to do a tree diagram of sorts detailing
who copied from who and what was based on which manuscript for the
big manuscripts that most of have access to for our SCA herbal
research?