HERB - Hyssop

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:11:29 PDT 1998

>I would like some help in telling people about some of our
>herbs.  What are the uses for hyssop?  It has a wondeful
>scent.  We currently sell it as a tea herb and we don't know
>any of the other uses.  Any help would benifit our
>populace.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Henri and Antea
>Kingdom of Ansteorra, Barony Star Gate
>Purveyors of fine herbs and spices
>http://www.hypercon.com/naturalhome

I just this past week picked up a book called "A Grower's Guide to
Herbs" by Geoffrey Burnie and John Fenton-Smith. Under uses for hyssop
(hyssopus officinalis), they say that "cooled hyssop leaf tea is a
cleansing, refreshing facial rinse". They also suggest adding "one or
two" finely chopped fresh leaves to soups and casseroles, and the fresh
flowers to salads for flavor and color. They also say that hyssop is
"very attractive to bees and butterflies".

Supposedly the tea can be taken to relieve the symptoms of colds.

This book also mentions that hyssop is not suitable for freezing, but
the leaves and flowers are better when dried.

Hope that helps...

Katerine Rowley
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra
mka