HERB - Elder flowers

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Sun Sep 6 14:56:46 PDT 1998

> From: Gaylin Walli <g.walli at infoengine.com>
> According to a couple of books I have, the fresh flowers can be eaten
> directly or used in fritters and pancakes to relive hay fever

Is this raw?

> Now, for contraindications, all I have is that some people may
> have a problem with the drying qualities of the flowers.

Several of my books say that Elderberry is listed among the poisonous
plants.  They indicate that the use of berries and flowers must be done
with caution, although acknowledging that they have been used for
centuries.  I've also read that children who have made whistles with elder
berry twigs have gotten very sick from blowing on them.  One of my books
states that the leaves, bark, roots, and twigs contain Cyanogenic
glucosides, which release cyanide.

Ripe, cooked berries are harmless, raw fruit should be limited, according
to _Rodales' illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs_

Melandra of the Woods