HERB - Elder flowers

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Sep 8 06:19:49 PDT 1998

Melandra of the Woods kindly asked:

>Is this raw?

Yes.

>Several of my books say that Elderberry is listed among the poisonous
>plants. [and more useful info deleted]

I think you and I may be referring to a few different plants. I am
referring to Sambucus nigra. You may be refering to Sambucus racemosa
(the Red-berried Elder) or possibly Sambucus ebulus (sometimes called
the Dwarf Elder or Danewort). My books say that S. nigra is
quite safe, given the contraindications I mentioned before, but
that both S. racemosa and S. ebulus are poisonous and should not
be used.

Anyone else have some information that can round this out?
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim