HERB - Rendering fat

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Sep 18 15:08:33 PDT 1998

If you are going to use chickens to render the fat, I recommend getting a
'roaster'. They average 5-6 pounds apiece and have more fat on them.  Another
thing you can do.. if you eat whole chickens a lot, pull the fat out of the back
of the chicken and freeze it. When you get enough you can slowly render it.  It
is used quite a bit in jewish cooking and the crunchy bits are a favorite snack
(usually rendered with onion).

Try it.
Meadhbh
(who loves her grandma's schmalz)