HERB - Muscle Relaxants

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 09:04:09 PDT 1999

In a message dated 08/19/1999 11:29:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
noxcat at hotmail.com writes:

<<
 Heat applied locally works VERY well for knotted muscles. So does a couple
 of trips to your favorite Massage Therapist. Try avoiding caffeine, get
 adequate amounts of sleep, and start some gentle stretches. (the stretches
 can hurt at the beginning, but just be gentle and the stretches will get
 easier.)

 Lady Katerine Rowley >>
    What she said....... ;-) My favorite way to apply heat is in a fabric bag
filled with rice, which I heat in the microwave, for what it's worth. Plus, a
rub or homeopathic remedy containing arnica is good for sore muscles. Do NOT
ingest arnica in doses larger than the homeopathic ones, though, as it isn't
safe internally. I'm not sure about comfrey's effectiveness in this area, but
it's not wise, in light of studies done in the last few years, to take it
internally, either. At least not in large doses, or for very long--it
contains varying amounts of a chemical that can cause major liver damage.
I've heard that breeders are trying to create a strain that doesn't have any
of the offending ingredient in it, but for now we need to use caution. Some
folks even suggest that using it externally is dangerous, but I haven't read
of any convincing data along those lines so far.
    Another item to try is a muscle rub containing hot peppers. There are
several (pricey!) commercial versions out there, or you can make your own by
steeping crumbled or ground Cayenne in oil for a few days (Or heating it very
gently for a few hours), and using the strained oil as a rub, or the base for
a salve. You could even combine the arnica and hot pepper, if you like.......
:-) Just remember to wash up carefully after using the stuff, or you'll be
very sorry next time you rub your eyes! BTW, I've heard that vinegar helps
cut the burn of hot peppers, and it seems to work for me. I scrub my hands in
vinegar, rinse, and then wash with soap.

                Ldy Diana