HERB - Sassafrass

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 01:53:56 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/10/1999 2:11:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
corwynsca at juno.com writes:

> Which leaves should I pick for a good tea, and when?  None of my
>  books have a decent recipe.  Sigh....
>
>  -Caro

Actually, every time I've ever had sassafras, it's been the roots that we made
tea from. It was also used in the spring as a tonic, I can't remember having
it any other time as just sassafras tea.

The leaves are, or were, used to make a seasoning called "fele gumbo" (sp?),
which, as you might guess from the name, was a mix of okra and other stuff (I
have a distant cousin I'll bet has something on this, probably a family
reference) usually seafood. I MIGHT have a recipe somewhere.. but the world
has gotten so paranoid about possible carcinogens, I couldn't encourage
anybody to make it.

Corwyn Wodewarde
Kingdom of Atlantia
Barony of Nottinghill Coill