HERB - Sassafrass

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 9 21:58:35 PST 1999

>The leaves are, or were, used to make a seasoning called "fele gumbo"
>(sp?), which, as you might guess from the name, was a mix of okra >and
other stuff (I have a distant cousin I'll bet has something on this,
>probably a family reference) usually seafood. I MIGHT have a recipe
>somewhere.. but the world has gotten so paranoid about possible
>carcinogens, I couldn't encourage anybody to make it.
>
>Corwyn Wodewarde

You are almost right here.  It is called "File Gumbo" (with an accent
over the 'e' in File) and it is made from the sassafrass leaves.  It is
used in gumbo with okra, seafood, etc., but it is just the sassafrass
that makes up the herb.  You can buy File in stores (esp. in Louisianna)
here in the south, and in specialty stores that sell special hot stuff or
Cajun cuisine.
Christianna