HERB - Herb Class Help Needed

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Wed Feb 17 06:47:35 PST 1999

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

>         So, I am beginning to coalesce this idea for a class, that
> includes: Safe, edible plants;  used medicinally in the Middle Ages;
> growing here in the New World as well.  With examples.

Where are you?  What are your weeds?  Plantain?  Shepherd's purse?  chickweed?
All medicinal/ pot herbs.

>         Mint comes to mind right off.  Cover medieval uses, plant
> structure (recognizeable characteristics), and have a few sample stems to
> pass around.
>          Chamomile.  Parsley.  Garlic.  Sage.  Rosemary.  (I'm doing this
> list off the top of my head, and will consult other resources, but, any
> other ideas?)\

Be careful about parsley if you are talking gathering wild plants.  Be sure
they can't confuse it
with poison hemlock. Even Tacunium Sanitatis says to grow the parsley so you
won't make a mistake.

>         Now, talking to the Scouts will be easy, I can cover the stuff
> they will recognize easily.  I will need to get more in-depth for the SCA
> classes, and obviously, the restriction of it also growing here is not as
> important (although it would be nice to be able to get examples readily).

Roses, violets, juniper
Dandelions (not in the Mediterranean area herbals--doesn't grow in summer-dry
climates unless watered)
but in English herbals by late period.

>     Thanks
>         Mistress Christianna MacGrain