HERB - Guilds and ethics

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 28 14:09:57 PST 1999

 To date there is not any Kingdom wide Herbalist's Guild.  Indeed many
Kingdoms don't have a Kingdom leverl guild.  I have wandered through the
various Web pages and not found much.  An Tir has a very goo Kingdom Level
Herbalist's Guild.

We have a Baronial Guild (in Bryn Gwlad) that meets irregularly.  The
problem I have found at least in the local guild is planing monthly
meetings.  very often unless you have people comfortable with teaching and
sharing, a group of people who listens and one or two people who do stuff.
We have done field walks for identification purposes, made soap, tinctures,
teas, discussed Gardening, doctrines of signatures, done herb reiews on
books,  mystery seed contests and such.

I'd be interested in the list members alking about any guild that they
have, belong to or host and the types of activities they do...

Concerning the ethics of Herbs and Wortcunning.... When I worked at the
store, you are very very sensitive to what you say and how you say it.  We
never used the words--medicine, cure, or prescribe.  We did say things
like.... I've used this and did this with and found it really helped get
rid of this.  Or  my grandmother always used this and she never was sick.
I also pulled out copies of articles from various sources, citing chemicals
and findings.  Most good positve herbal research tends to be European (I
don't think it's changed since I worked at the store) or Canadian.  The US
seems to be more paranoid about using plants for healing....

Clare