HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #299

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Sun Jul 4 00:10:40 PDT 1999

> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:39:24 -0500
> From: "Carper, Rachel" <Rachel.Carper at COMPAQ.com>
> Subject: RE: HERB - Lavender
>
>         So, what your telling me is, here in Georgia, I need to find a nice
> sunny/shaddy spot with good drainage?
>
>         Elewyiss

Hi - I've been following the lavender thread with a lot of interest. Lavender is pretty
much my favorite and most used herb. I live in _deep_ south Georgia (Waycross) and
prior to this year I haven't had any luck growing lavender. I tried seeds (several
types) and plants, and they all died. I've been studying nursery catalogs and herb books
and books on lavender, and realized that there are a few types of lavender that will
grow/thrive in the heat/hunidity down here. Some people have had sucesses with true
lavender and lavender lady, but not me. I was looking for spanish lavender 9recomended
for my climate) this season, but couldn't quite come up with the money for a pricy
nursery order.

I happened to be in the Wal-Mart garden patio one day and noticed several flats of
interesting plants in the herb section. I promptly grabbed up 12 lavender plants and
took them home, giving 2 to a friend. So far, all 10 of my plants still alive  and they
are thriving. The strain I have is lavender dentata, a type of French lavender. It
really seems to like our weather down here. The only drawback id that it doesn't have
the true lavender scent, rather it has an astringent, pungent clean scent, a little like
rosemary.

I planted mine in very large pots or barrels, with plastic packing peanuts in the bottom
for drainainge. The "soil" is a mixture of peat, composted coe manure, some topsoil, and
a lot of sand. Several lavender books recomended the sand, and also said to mulch with
layers of sand during the year. Thsi is supposed to help prevent mold. Also, place in
partial shade, and be _very_ careful with watering. I use a hose with a nozzle that fans
the water out so its easier to prevent splashing. Water like rosemary - don't drownd it,
but don't let it get too dry.

Hope this helps
Siobhan ni Ahearn