HERB - Dental Health

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Jul 12 07:53:35 PDT 1999

Christianna asked:

>Does someone still have that (where they can find it?) and could you
>send it back to the list?  [concerning clove oil in period]

I searched the list archives and I can't find it anywhere. And of course,
my library is at home. Sorry!

>While we're at it, does anyone else have
>anything they want to add to that one?  I remember Digby has some
>recipies for tooth powders, I will try to get some time to find them and
>post them.

I do! Porta's "Magiae naturalis" (1558) has some fun stuff. The last of
the three is still used today in rural areas IIRC. -- jasmine

----- Porta's receipes -----

Book 8, "On Physical Experiments"
Chapter 5

"To Fasten the Teeth."

I could find not any thing in all this physical tract of greater value then
this remedy for the teeth.  For the water gets in through the gums, even
to the very nerves of the teeth, and strengthens and fastens them.  Yes,
if they are  eaten away, it fills them with flesh, and new cloths them.
Moreover, it makes them clean and white, and shining like pearls.  I know
a man, who by this only recipe, gained great riches.  Take therefore
three handfuls of Sage, Nettles, Rosemary, Mallows, and the rind of the
roots of Walnut.
      Wash them well, and beat them.  Also as much of the Flowers of Sage,
Rosemary, olive and plantaine leaves, two handfuls of Hypocistis,
Horehound, and the tops of Bramble, one pound of the Flower of Myrtle,
half a pound of the seed, two handfuls of Rosebuds, with their stalks, two
Drachms of Saunders, Corriander prepared, and Citron Pill.  Three Drachms
of Cinnamon in powder, ten of Cypress Nuts, five green Pineapples, two
Drachms of Bole-Armenick and Mastick.
      Powder them all, and Infuse them in sharp black Wine, and let them
Macerate three days.  Then slightly pressing the Wine out, put them into an
Alembick, and still them with a gentle fire.  Then boil the distilled water,
with two ounces of Allome till it be dissolved, in a vessel close stopped.
When you would use it, suck up some of the water, and stir it up and down
your mouth until it turns to froth.  Then spit it out, and rub your
teeth with a
linen cloth.  It will perform what I have promised.  For it fastens the teeth,
and restores the gums that are eroded.  Now we will deliver other experiments,

           "To fasten the teeth,"

Macerate the leaves of Mastick, Sage, Rosemary, and Bramble, in Greek-Wine.
Then Distill it with a gentle fire through a Retort.  Take a mouthful of this,
and stir about, till it turns to spittle.  It fastens the teeth,
makes them white,
and restores the gums.  The root of Pellitory bruised, and put into the teeth,
takes away the pain.  So does the root of Henbane.  For the bleeding
of teeth, I
have often made trial of Purslaine, so much commended.

              "For the Swelling of the gums,"

Beat the roots and leaves of Plantaine, and lay them to the swelling when you
go to bed, and in the morning you will find your gums well.