HERB - Soothers for children

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Jul 22 07:55:42 PDT 1999

Jeanne de La Mer wrote:

>I'd like to hear any ideas that have worked for you or someone you know.

Diet considerations should obviously be seriously examined by
your and your daughter and your doctor. Everything you eat
will affect your body in some way. There may be some foods
that will affect her hormonal balance, which, at the age of 12
is likely none too stable right now. Let me tell you what I've done
and you can do some research to take to your doctor.

To begin, let me tell you that prescription medications work
badly if at all when I take them. Sometimes they have the exact
opposite effect from their intended use. It puzzles my doctors
and they keep trying to get me to go to John's Hopkins for
tests. I keep refusing. Herbal treatments work well for me.

I am 30 and I have hormonal imbalances that would frighten
most adults, but these imbalances are in control because I
change my food intake throughout my menstrual cycle (and I
treat myself as a hypoglycemic). I also take St. John's Wort
in capsule form (300 mg 2x daily, standardized .3% Hypericin).

My doctors and I have begun plans to increase my instake of GLA,
which is a fatty acid that has been shown to positively effect
premenstrual syndrome symptoms. You should be able to find
a considerable body of research on this topic and it may help
you with a 12-year-old's hormonal imbalances.

Valarian may be something that would help your daughter too
for the night times. I find that my hormones can often cause
my brain to work itself overtime, making it difficult to sleep.
If she has this problem too, you and your doctor could discuss
with her the possibility of taking the capsules occasionally as
a sleep aid.

I hope this helps give you a clearer picture of how my personal
situation works. Obviously your daughter's is different. And
once again, talk to your doctor and your daughter about it all.
Keeping her in the loop may help her feel like she has more
control over her life when things seems crazy and slippery.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
gwalli at infoengine.com