HERB - Projects

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 07:18:21 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/7/99 6:19:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, RAISYA at aol.com
writes:

<<
 Last year, some people listed what they were working on for herbal holiday
 presents, which was a lot of fun.  So, what is everyone making or planning
 make this year?

 I haven't gotten far, just some herbal moth bags, I'd LOVE some ideas...

 Raisya

    Soap, again--and trust me, mine is usually so full of herbs you can
hardly see the soap! ;-) I have to make some more for my husband, for
sure--he's been out of the Oatmeal Cookie (with sweet spices, hence the
name!) soap I made last year for a couple of months and is complaining
regularly.......... (G)
    I want to try a few of the lotion bars that are so popular on a lot of
the toiletries boards now--I think my mom and aunts might like those. And,
since I have both rosewater and glycerin on hand, maybe a lotion from them?
    Since my mother is allergic to many perfumes, I've made some aftershave
for my dad for a couple of years that she can be near without problems. It's
basically aloe vera gel, vodka, orange oil, frankincense, and myrrh. I may
try something else this year, though, for a change--maybe Bay Rum?
    Something else I may try, from an idea in one of the recent Herb
Companions, is room spritzers--basically essential oils and a bit of fixative
with spring water in a pretty spray bottle. I need to see how cheaply I can
find the bottles, though, as these are mostly for relatives distant enough
that I shouldn't spend much money on the gifts. Anyone know any inexpensive
mail order sources for nice spray bottles? I don't have time to do the yard
sale thing, which would be the best way to find such stuff, I imagine......
    I'd like to play around with incense sometime, but I use it infrequently,
as do folks on my gift list. So it's on the back burner for now.........
      One of the best things I've done in the last few years is the bags
filled with rice and herbs, to be heated in the microwave and used like a hot
water bottle. Mine are still going strong--used them last week when my back
got annoyed at me, in fact. My mother uses hers very often, as she has a lot
of back and hip problems, and other relatives commented favorably on them,
too.

                Ldy Diana