HERB - Projects

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Nov 9 06:19:30 PST 1999

Raisya asked:
>Diana, could you give more details on preparing the aftershave?  Do you grind
>the frankincense and myrrh, or use essential oils, or...?

Diana will best be able to answer what she did, but I thought I'd let you
know how I did mine. When I made my husband aftershave, I used the
rosins ground fine in my coffee grinder. Along with the fresh and dried
herbs, I would soak these rosins in an alcohol-water mix in the cupboard
(a warm one under my sink, next to my vinegar experiment).

>Also, would you
>mind describing more about the rice/herb bags, they sound fascinating.

When I made mine, I found that there were several tips that made life
much easier. They are:

(1) Be very choosy about your herbs, if you use them at all. I ended
up not using them because I wasn't pleased with the smell they made
after being heated in the microwave even for a short period of time.
Keep in mind people's allergies. Chamomile is nearly always a bad
choice.

(2) Consider using small peas or lentils instead of rice. Rice has a
tendency to break down over time because the grains are repeatedly
rubbing up against each other. As they break down, they produce
a rice flour of sorts with has a tendency to get gummy or sticky or
otherwise annoying. Peas and lentils have the same heat-holding
qualities and last much much longer.

(3) Use a two-cover system to make your bags. This is especially
helpful if you choose to use rice. Sew one bag completely, rice or
peas inside. Then sew another, barely larger bag, and this time make
it possible for it to be removed. Baby clothes zippers, small snaps,
or even velcro are possible closures. This removeable bag can then
be washed and replaced as necessary whenever it gets soiled. And
it will get soiled. Think: hot bag, cold skin, sweat.

>Iasmin, I think I know someone who might be able to give suggestions on the
>15th century Italian table settings, let me write her and see if she can send
>something.

That would be great, Raisya! Any help is most appreciated.

>Begga Elisabeth, a rosemary wine?  Sounds wonderful!  You'll have to tell us
>how the current ones, and this one, comes along!

I'll second that!

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com