HERB - Projects

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Nov 17 12:26:44 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Gaylin Walli wrote:
> (1) Be very choosy about your herbs, if you use them at all. I ended
> up not using them because I wasn't pleased with the smell they made
> after being heated in the microwave even for a short period of time.
> Keep in mind people's allergies. Chamomile is nearly always a bad
> choice.

Look for spices and herbs that react well to heat; many of them don't.
Substances that are traditionally used for incense, such as cinnamon,
nutmeg, rosemary, etc. should work all right.

Lavender is a traditional element of headache remedies but some people
have a allergic reaction to it. (One of the projects I'm going to get to
someday soon is the quilted cap with Rosemary in it that one of the
herbals mentions.)

> (2) Consider using small peas or lentils instead of rice. Rice has a
> tendency to break down over time because the grains are repeatedly
> rubbing up against each other. As they break down, they produce
> a rice flour of sorts with has a tendency to get gummy or sticky or
> otherwise annoying. Peas and lentils have the same heat-holding
> qualities and last much much longer.

Does anyone have a source for buckwheat hulls, the stuff commerical
manufacturers use in these pillows?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

"The toad beneath the harrow knows/Exactly where each toothpoint goes;
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."-- Kipling