HERB - almond oil

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Tue Nov 9 17:58:18 PST 1999

Magdalena da Cadamosto <brambleberry at hotmail.com> wrote:
>    I have a recipe that calls for oil made from almonds and oil made from
>sweet almonds.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Almond oil, sometimes called "Bitter Almond", has the scent we
usually associate with almonds. When naturally derived, which it
isn't always, it may come from bitter almonds, peach pits,or some
other related plants. Because it is high in form of cyanide, bitter
almonds and their essentil oil should be treated with caution. Almond
extract for flavoring food contains a very small amount of bitter
almond oil, and won't poison you :-)

Sweet almond oil is derived from sweet almonds, the kind we
customarily eat. It has very little almond scent, is safe to eat, and
is a good emollient.

Lilinah