flax seeds was HERB - Projects

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Nov 10 06:48:49 PST 1999

> I have! Very nice. I like the weight. Big problem though: EXPENSIVE.
> Even at discounted prices in bulk, flax seeds are a high cost alternative
> to rice, beans, or peas (or deer feed!). But you know what? I really
> like the movement and weight of the flax seeds. They feel good on
> my body when I make the "owie bags" (as my pseudo-niece calls
> them).
>
> Jasmine
> Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com

You can grow flax for seeds:  I bought a teaspoon full at the health food
store--they grew very nicely  -- such pretty flowers! -- and now I have many
more.
The seeds also store well:  that is, I bought those seeds a couple years
ago, and I got lots of plants this year.

How do I prepare linen?  Did the stalks have to be harvested green?  I pulled
them (after they turned brown) and they are sticking out of a bucket waiting
for
me to decide if I want to try to extract the fibers. (Not enough to make
anything
but enough to learn from.)

Agnes