HERB - Advice PLEASE!!!

Aurora McFarlane lady_mcfarlane at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 09:53:22 PST 1999

There is a wonderful site on medieval cooking.  It's titled the Boke of Gode Cookery.  the URL is http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen.html There is a recipe for Sambocade a medieval cheesecake that uses Elderflowers and rose water.  Has anyone made this before?  I'm going to try it for our shires anniversary feast this weekend.

Rauthulfr <mwolfe at nwlink.com> wrote:
Greetings from Rauthulfr;
That sounds like a big bite!
The first thing to consider is: how long will the lecture be? That tells
you what to prepare for.

Others will be:
Is there a budget for handouts? That will help cover costs of supplemental
materials. I like to give extracts from primary sources in the handouts,
and gloss over them lightly in lecture.

Will you want to focus on a key work used in period as an example in
detail? Sometimes folks want a sampler, other times they want detail and
specifics. If the former, then you might want to check some Herbal
Histories, if the latter, them perhaps focusing on Pliny or Dioscorides
would be useful.

Finally, by Medieval, do they really mean MEDIEVAL, or do they just mean
pre-modern. If the latter then Gervase Markham is probably a good source,
It contains some great recipes, and the editor Michael Best is on Faculty
at the University of Victoria (where he can be reached by e-mail with
questions.)

If anyone wants I can send them a copy of one of my class handouts.
Posting them to the web is problematic from home.
YIS
(I'll try to post a couple of recipes in a bit.)

At 04:56 AM 11/9/99 , you wrote:
>What I am in need of is advice and information. I
>have been suckered..er talked into lecturing my
>History Club at good old UHS on "Herbs and Medieval
>Medicines."
>
>HELP! What I need is book recommendations, class
>plans, outlines or other information abotu how to run
>the class. snips I just need a general overview.
>
>I am also cooking Medieval food, kind of a sampler
>thing, and would love recipie suggestions.

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....