HERB - Preparing Flax

Nordmarc nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 16 08:43:02 PST 1999

Greetings Agnes, ( I can't find your original post and am hoping I have
the right name. )

I once made a half- hearted attempt to prepare nettles for spinning and
made a mess of it.
I know that you have to soak the stalks but I don't know if they should
be green or dried. I used green nettle stalks and they retted down well.

If I remember correctly, you rett the flax (stinky process) and then let
the remaining fibres dry out. You then beat them to break down the tough
fibres, and then you have to comb them so that the fibres all lie nice
and parallel. Then to bleach it you have to leave it out in the sun, but
have keep it from drying out by wetting down occasionally.
Please don't quote me on any of this, I am relying on memory from what
I've read in the past.

A good source of info may be  < www.robinandruss.com >  They have some
of their books and fact sheets listed online, but e-mail to them will
often turn up more info. and goods. They are very helpful people and
their store is fascinating (well, to a textile worker).

I think I might try the nettles again next year, I haven't been able to
let any of my garden go for flax as yet. Although last year I did
consider sheep - great lawnmowers!

Good luck,  Isrith.