HERB - Near and Far Eastern Aromas

Elizabeth A. Metzger ymzady at home.com
Wed Sep 1 11:10:53 PDT 1999

I wouldn't call it "research", but, being insatiably curious about a
culture so different from my own, I try to read as much as possible of
the magazines and books, etc, that come across my desk.  It's common for
many articles to reference writings by medieval Rabbis, referring to
them with the assumption that the reader is familiar with their writings
(so, no footnotes or bibliographies to pass on...sorry!).  As much of
what I see was written by Lubavitch Chassidic Jews for Lubavitch
Chassidic Jews, I'm assuming these writings were part of their studies
in the yeshivah, and I'm sure much of it is available translated into
English, as the main focus of the "Chabad" philosophy is outreach to
Jews who are not as observant, and they have a reputation for being very
welcoming.  They also believe that women should be as educated in Torah
and Talmud as men.

If you are a Jew in modern life as well as having a Jewish personna, I'd
suggest contacting a local Chabad Rabbi to get more specific
information.  The ones I have met have been *very* friendly.  But, alas,
I'm there to run the office, not to learn about medieval Judaism, so I
try to keep my questions to a minimum.  "A Jew should be a good Jew, and
a Gentile should be a good Gentile," is their philosophy-and I think
they think it's kind of strange that a goy is so interested in 'what,
where and why'.  I'll keep my eyes open, though and pass on anything I
find out...and you might try this link:

http://www.chabad.com/links.html

sorry this was so long...

Iosobail