HERB - Lion and Locust wording in a period recipe

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Sep 2 10:29:46 PDT 1999

Friends,

I'm trying to track something down for my class that I'm teaching on
"Icky Things." There's a recipe for eliminating beauty spots that's
detailed in Porta's _Natural Magick_. It reads:

I will not omit Aelian's experiment of a Lion, which is kind of a
Locust.  For in some membranes, where the Testes are bound
together, under which there are some soft Carbuncles, and tender,
that are called Lions Fat.  This will help people to make ill faces
look comely, mingled with Oil of Roses.  And made into an Ointment,
it will make the face look fair and shining.
(http://janeway.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportac9.html)

The part that's making me stumble is the bit on "which is kind of a
Locust." Now, not having read Aelian's works, why the Locust
reference? What am I missing in the understanding of this recipe?
I read it as, "take the fat that sits beneath the testicles of a Lion
and mix it with Oil of Roses or prepare an ointment with it to make
the face look fair."

Anyone have any ideas?

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com