HERB - Lion and Locust wording in a period recipe

M Wolfe mwolfe at nwlink.com
Thu Sep 2 11:14:54 PDT 1999

My first guess would be a mistranslating.  Doing a quick check of the index
for
the Loeb edition of Aelian turns up nothing that would correspond.  However,
given Aelian, it will probably take a read through of the various lion and
locust citations to make sure.  On that I'll have to get back to you next
week.  (An Tir Crown is this weekend and packing will take priority.  I wish I
could be of more help.

Aelian: On Animals with an English Translation, Loeb Classical Library,
Harvard
University Press, 1971, (Trans. A. F. Schofield) 3 volumes.

At 10:29 AM 9/2/99 , you wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I'm trying to track something down for my class that I'm teaching on
> "Icky Things." There's a recipe for eliminating beauty spots that's
> detailed in Porta's _Natural Magick_. It reads:
> I will not omit Aelian's experiment of a Lion, which is kind of a
> Locust.  For in some membranes, where the Testes are bound
> together, under which there are some soft Carbuncles, and tender,
> that are called Lions Fat.  This will help people to make ill faces
> look comely, mingled with Oil of Roses.  And made into an Ointment,
> it will make the face look fair and shining.
>
> (<http://janeway.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportac9.html>http://janeway.tscn
> et.com/pages/omard1/jportac9.html)
> The part that's making me stumble is the bit on "which is kind of a Locust."
> Now, not having read Aelian's works, why the Locust
> reference? What am I missing in the understanding of this recipe?
> I read it as, "take the fat that sits beneath the testicles of a Lion
> and mix it with Oil of Roses or prepare an ointment with it to make
> the face look fair."
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Jasmine
> Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....