HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #498

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sun Aug 6 22:55:48 PDT 2000

owner-herbalist at ansteorra.org writes:

<<
 2) Other than Neosporin, (and ear wax) what would be a good wound
 ointment? (I've already had to soak off the dressing they put on at the
 hospital, ointment is obviously going to be a necessity. *sigh*) My mom
 swears by Vitamin E; I used to use Zam-buk, a green herbal ointment from
 Canada, but I can't get that anymore. Recommendations?

    I have in the past--and need to again!--made some nice ointments that
worked well for wounds by adding calendula, golden seal, echinacea, lavender
and comfrey, plus whatever else was on hand that might be useful (Thyme and
rosemary for anti-bacterial effects, for instance), to the oil portion of the
ointment and steeping it at a very low heat for a few hours. (I never seem to
be able to plan ahead far enough to steep them at room-temps for a couple of
weeks, like I'd prefer!) Vitamin E is a great addition, too--it doesn't work
*fast*, necessarily, but it helps heal *well*, with no scarring.
    I know you don't have time to make up any ointments before Pennsic, but
if you prefer a herbal ointment to Neosporin, etc., you should be able to
find several in a local health food store. I haven't seen the particular one
you mentioned before, but I've seen a number of different ones that looked
pretty good.  You might enjoy checking them out--just read the labels
carefully for one with lots of good stuff and you should do fine

                Ldy Diana