HERB - Breast feeding

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Aug 8 07:23:49 PDT 2000

> Thank you - this being my first child I am nervous about breast feeding in
> public - I realize that soon enough it will become second nature, but for now
> I'm a little nervous.  It is wonderful to know that it is becoming more
> accepted, I can remember my mother telling me horror stories about her
> experiences in public with me.

For a little comic relief, two stories, one SCAdian, one not:

My mother was one of the first women in our town to breast feed. (my
brother, born in 1974.) My paternal grandfather, who adored children,
kicked up a big fuss about it, until she finally looked at him and said,
"You're just jealous because you can't get to feed the baby!" And he said,
"Yes." So, when visiting my grandparents, she would use a breast pump to
make up a bottle for my grandfather to feed the baby with, and all was
peace and harmony.

Of course, not everyone is completely USED to public breastfeeding. Soon
after a (rather lecherous) friend of mine got involved in the local group
(he was about 24 at the time), he was riding to an event with
aquaintances, including a pretty woman and her third child, an infant.
They got stranded by a car problem temporarily, and the child began to
fuss. "Oh dear," said the lady, "she must be hungry. Can you hold her for
a minute?" Expecting the lady to produce a bottle from somewhere, he took
the child, and was flabbergasted when she opened her shirt, whipped out a
breast, took back the baby, and began to nurse. He wasn't offended, but
I'm not sure he ever got over the startlement!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
	nuts work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
	they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"