HERB - H*LP Transplant emergency

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 07:34:00 PDT 2000

This one bounced to me, sorry! - Raisya Khorivovna, list admin

===================

Greetings!

Since you have nothing to lose, try uprooting and replanting as many as
you can / want to.  If nothing else, you could learn a lot about how to
do an emergency transplant!  Here are a few tips I learned from similar
experiences:

1) Grow-eez, or some similar product.  It seems to reduce shock, and
helps cushion the seedlings - sort of a gatorade for plants.

2) You know those long flats that are usually window boxes?  Sometimes
they work better than smaller pots - you can get a whole row without
uprooting one at a time, so the roots have support.

3) Try to dig up a lot of soil around the plant, and that way you don't
even touch the roots.  If you can.

4) Do you have a friend with a yard to store them at?  If there's a shady
corner where they can all hide, it might help.  If it's a *really* good
friend, digging holes and storing them in the ground would be even
better.

5) Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but it works: put the pots as close
together as possible.  Touching the other plants reassures them.

-Caro